Sunday 16 August 2009

First Post


I am a B.Tech in Electronics and Communications from NITK Surathkal with a masters degree in photonics from the EMMP consortium and I left the straight and narrow path when I was admitted to this amazing ten month program to study theoretical physics with the best in the world. Why did I take the plunge ? Because not everyone can live their childhood dreams, and I could not possibly have passed this up for anything.

I arrived here in Waterloo a couple of days ago and was received at the Pearson Intl airport in Toronto by a limo with an envelope inside with the keys to my apartment, access cards et al. Waterloo is about an hours drive away from there and is a small place, with a sort of boxy, rural American feel. The apartments are very comfy and well furnished, as one might expect from the perimeter institute.

I've met my classmates a couple of times and they seem to be a pleasant and enthusiastic bunch. The walk from the apartment to the institute is a pleasant one through parkland and playing fields.



Google earth shows a cricket field close by, but I haven't checked that out yet. Will do that today. I've been to The institute once yesterday morning when hardly anyone was about and it's an absolutely splendid place. Spacious, open, with plenty of sunlight streaming in, superb architecture.

The corridors are interspersed at regular intervals with lounges and coffee machines and laarge black boards which are all meant as discussion spaces where science can be done. The black hole bistro is another splendid place and I made myself some exotic tea. That's where we - the psi students - will have two meals a day. Its the ideal place to work and think. And I haven't even seen the library and the theaters yet.



I expect the lectures will be brilliant, almost every single faculty member is famous, and I don't say that lightly. I'll keep this blog updated about subjects and lectures once they start tomorrow. I intend to write about what we learn, how, why etc. Plus additional titbits about life in the best place in theoretical physics in the world. Apparently, they have concerts and yoga and other such activities everyday. I'll put up pics of these initial days on here soon.

I'm really excited about what I'm about to start learning and the journey that lies ahead. I trust I'll be able to share some of the more interesting parts with you along the way :)



-- Post From My iTouch


3 comments:

  1. wow :) ur one of the coolest people I know bro!!
    -speed

    ReplyDelete
  2. This institute and the program seems to be very impressive and exciting!! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomeness! truly the stuff of childhood dreams :) All the very best!

    ReplyDelete